August 25, 2012

A PINTERESTING Evening!!!

Today I thought I would share a couple recipes that I made from Pinterest the other night.  Hence a pinteresting evening, lol.  I make up these cornball titles really just to annoy my little sister, since I love to see her roll her eyes at my cornyness (sure, that's a word).  Why?  Because deep down, I know my sister loves my cornball side way more than she would like to admit, lol. 
 
Oh, also, this was in fact my second time this week making these recipes. ;-)  I had a girls get together for makeup tips a few days ago and we liked them so much that I made them last night when my sister came over. 

I figured since I pin all of this great food, I should probably start making some of it.

I decided to go with the Zucchini Boats and Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries!  Yummy!!!
 
I should apologize in advance over the lighting for the photography.  I took the pictures in the evening, so they are a little dark.
 
Here is the end result:

ZUCCHINI BOATS


 
 
CHEESECAKE STUFFED STRAWBERRIES
 


You can find the recipe for the Zucchini Boats here and I just followed the picture for the strawberries and did my own. 

Here are the ingredients I gathered for the Zucchini Boats:

 
Yield: 12 zucchini boats
 
                                                                Cook Time: 30 min
                                                                 Prep Time: 30 min

 

Ingredients:

Six medium (8-inch) zucchini, ends trimmed, then cut in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon olive or grape seed oil
1  finely chopped onion
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 -pound lean turkey sausage
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup tomato-basil marinara sauce
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 1/2 tbsp dried
salt and pepper
 
 
 
To make the Zucchini Boats, I cut 6 zucchini in half and scooped them out.


 

Then I cut up two turkey sausage, like the ones below...



I also cut up an onion and a few pieces of garlic...




Then on to the saute part:
 

I used grape seed oil to saute, but you can use a little olive oil or whatever you have on hand.  This is the one I use. 



I find a lot of specialty items for pretty cheap at TJMaxx.

 
 
Once your zucchini, onions, and sausage has been sauteed, mix it with a cup of mozzarella cheese, a cup of marinara sauce, and fresh or dried basil and fill the boats up.
 


I topped it with mozzarella cheese, but the time before when I made it, I topped it with flaked Parmesan and I liked it better with the parm.
In the oven at 375 degrees for about 30 min.  and get your knife and fork ready to chow down!


In the recipe from Pinterest, she made rice as a side, but the zucchini boats and stuffed strawberries where plenty for us.  Which really means I was too lazy to make the rice. 
 
 
Yum! Yum!
 
 
Ok, so for the Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries, I found this picture on Pinterest...
 
Pinned Image
 
 
So I couldn't resist and made some of my own.
 
First thing to do is make the cheesecake filling
I followed the directions on the box and mixed it with 1 1/3 cups cold milk on med. speed for about 3 minutes.  Then I let the filling sit in the fridge for 30 minutes while I took care of the strawberries.
 
 I rinsed, dried, and cut the tops of the strawberries.  Then I made an x on each one, just make sure not to go to far down, but if you accidentally do, just use the cream cheese as the glue between them.  No one will ever know ;-)
 
 
When the filling was ready, I took a clear Wilton bag and put a tip 12 in the bottom and filled up the bag with the cheesecake filling. 
 
 
Then I filled each one. 
 
 
 And finished with sprinkling the graham cracker crust on the strawberries. 
 
Now you can eat three one to test them out before everyone else eats, you know, just to make sure they are safe ;-)
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen - thanks for sharing these recipes. I love both zucchini and strawberries. They look delicious and easy. I follow a vegetarian diet so I would have to leave out the turkey but the cheeses, onion & garlic should give it plenty of flavor for me. Will have to try very soon :)
    - Haydee

    ReplyDelete